Clio's Matters Report is designed to give firms a quick breakdown of certain information on Matters, such as the name, description, status, and the Accounts Receivable.
To generate the Report, first click on the Reports tab at the upper right of your page in the black ribbon. Then, scroll to the Matter Reports section of Reports, and select Matters.
Within the Report Options page you have several settings you can choose from to get the information you require on your report:
- Select Attorneys: Select to either display only Matters under a specific Responsible Attorney, or select to display All Attorneys, which will display Matters regardless of their Responsible Attorney. When creating a Matter you can select one user in your firm to be the Responsible Attorney. The Report can be filtered by this option and will show all work performed by all users under those specific Matters.
- Select Originating Attorneys: Choose to pull Matters that have been brought into the firm by specific Attorneys. Ensure that all Matters you wish to reference have an Originating Attorney assigned to them. More on applying an Originating Attorney can be seen in our Creating a New Matter Support Article.
- Select Report Detail (All Clients/Specific Client): Choose if you want to generate the report for all clients, or a specific client. Restricting the report to a single client will ensure that unbilled entries only under your selected client will display, where as restricting the report to All Clients will ensure unbilled entries under all clients and matters will display.
- Group Results: You have the option to group the results displayed on your report by Client, Responsible Attorney, and User. Displaying the results by Client will show details regarding each client and their matters. Selecting to display results by Responsible Attorney will show clients separated into groups under the attorney's assigned to their matters. Grouping results by User will display Time, Expense, and Flat rate entries under the individual that entered them.
- Select Practice Area: You have the ability to limit the results on your generated Report to a specific Practice Area, or by default you can select to display all Practice Areas. Do note that if you select to report on a single Practice Area, that all matters you wish to display under your clients will have to have the Practice Area assigned to it. More on Practice Areas can be read in our Managing Practice Areas Support Article.
- Matter Status: Select to pull reports based on matters that are Open, Pending, or Closed.
- Select Open Date Range: Filters by the date which Matter was opened. When restricting your Open date range, this will affect the information that displays in the columns. Restricting your report to a date range will display your billable entries as they stand today.
- Select Report Format: You can generate this report in PDF, .CSV, or Web version. The PDF and .CSV are downloadable files, whereas the Web version will only display in your browser. The advantage of a Web format is that it will include hyperlinks to the source of the records on your report.
The generated Work In Progress Report will display unbilled work under your clients' matters.
This report can also be generated in a .CSV format. This can be useful if you wish to further filter your report.
The Matter column lists the matter display number, or name of the matter, as designed on the Matter Numbering page in your settings. For more information on Matter Numbering see this article.
The Billable column will display the status of the matter. If the matter has been selected as non-billable, it will state "no" under the billable column of the Report. More information on changing the billable status of the matter can be seen in our Disabling Billing for Matters Support Article.
In the Latest Bill column you will see the date that the last invoice was issued on.
If my matter is non-billable, will it still display on this report?
If your matter has been selected as non-billable this will mean that you cannot generate a new invoice for this matter from the Billable Clients page from the Bills tab. Your matter will display regardless of whether or not the matter is currently set as billable, but on the Matters Report it will display the Billable status as either Billable Yes, or Billable No.
What if I only want to manipulate the data in this Report?
When generating a Report in a .CSV format you can have additional options for manipulation as sorting, or removing certain columns or rows. For more information on manipulating .CSV, please see our How do I use the CSV Export Support Article.