Note: The Productivity by User Report shows productivity as a blend of entering time and generating bills. If you are looking to simply see how much billable time a user (or your whole firm) has entered in a given date range, use the Activities Export from the Activities page.
Clio's Productivity by User Report (Lawyer Productivity Report) is designed to give firms a quick breakdown of how much each user is billing.
To generate the Report, first click on the Reports tab at the upper right of your page in the black ribbon. Then, scroll to the Productivity Reports section of Reports, and select Productivity by User.
Within the Report Options page you have several settings you can choose from to get the information you require on your report:
- Select Report Detail (Users): Choose if you want to show billed and unbilled entries for all users or a specific user, or "timekeeper". Restricting the report to a single user will only show their entries.
- Select Practice Area: You have the ability to limit the results on your generated Report to a specific Practice Area, or by default you can select to display all Practice Areas. Do note that if you select to report on a single Practice Area, that all matters you wish to display under your clients will have to have the Practice Area assigned to it. More on Practice Areas can be seen in our Managing Practice Areas Support Article.
- Select Date Range: Restricting your report to a specific date range will give you a historical representation of the data. For example, if your January invoices were in draft until February, running the report for January and February together will reflect the amounts billed on those invoices. However, if you select to generate your report just on the month of January, it will not represent the dollar amounts billed to your client due to the time not yet being on an approved invoices within the month of January. This is a historical representation of your data.
- Reporting Fact: When selecting your Reporting Fact you can choose either Money, or Time. When selecting to report on a factor of Money, you will see time and expense entries separated to see a summary of the amounts input by the user. When selecting your reporting factor of Time you will see a summarized total of entered time entries for the user. These will be shown as hours, rather than a dollar figure.
- Select Report Format: You can generate this report in PDF, .CSV, or Web version. The PDF and .CSV are downloadable files, whereas the Web version will only display in your browser. The advantage of a Web format is that it will include hyperlinks to the source of the records on your report.
With a reporting factor of Money, the generated Productivity by User Report will display a summary of all time and expenses entered by each user.
With a reporting factor of Time, the generated Productivity by User Report will display a summary of all time entered by each user and represents the number of hours rather than a dollar figure.
This report can also be generated in a .CSV format. This can be useful if you wish to further filter your report.
The Unbilled column will display a summary of Unbilled Time and Unbilled Expenses by dollar when reported on by Money. Unbilled refers to entries not placed on approved Bills. This will include entries on Draft or Pending Approval Bills. When reported on by Time, a summary of hours is displayed. Unbilled is defined based on Activity Date of entered line items.
The Billed column will display a summary of Billed Time and Billed Expenses by dollar when reported on by Money. Billed refers to entries placed on Bills in Awaiting Payment or Paid status. When reported on by Time, a summary of hours is displayed. When restricted by Date, the Billed column will display amounts represented on invoices whose Issue Date is within the selected Date Range.
The Total column displays a total summarization of dollar amounts for Billed and Unbilled Time and Expenses when reported on by Money. When reported on by Time, a total summary of Billed and Unbilled hours are displayed.
If my matter is non-billable, will it still display on this report?
No. If your matter has been selected as non-billable this will mean that you cannot generate a new invoice for this matter from the Billable Clients page from the Bills tab. Your matter will display regardless of whether or not the matter is currently set as billable.
How are Flat Rate Matters calculated?
- Billable Time entries will display on both the Money and Time version of the report
- Flat rate Activity will only show on the Money version of the report
- Non-Billable time entries will not display on any version of the report
What if I only want to manipulate the data in this Report?
When generating a Report in a .CSV format you can have additional options for manipulation as sorting, or removing certain columns or rows. For more information on manipulating .CSV, please see our How to Sort and Export data in Excel Support Article.
What is Unbilled and Billed?
Unbilled refers to entries not placed on approved invoices. This will include Unbilled, Draft or Pending Approval invoices. Billed refers to items placed on Approved invoices and Approved invoices that have been paid.
Are Clio Connect users (co-counsel) displayed on the Report?
Yes. Clio Connect users' time is displayed.
What if I want to see these results in a non-historical Report?
In order to see Unbilled and Billed records in a non-historical Report, you will want to separately generate the Activities Report. Steps can be seen in our Activities Report Support Article.
How are Discounts applied?
When applying a percentage or dollar amount discount to an invoice, this affects the user's displayed productivity when run with a reporting factor of Money.
$1000 invoice is prepared for client ABC based on time captured as follows:
Attorney #1 hr at $500/hr = $500
Attorney #2 1 hr at $300/hr =$300
Attorney #3 1 hr at $200/hr = $200
After the invoice is generated, a 15% discount is applied, which changes the total to $850. When using the Productivity by User Report, the adjusted amounts per user will be shown:
Attorney #1 = $425
Attorney #2 = $255
Attorney #3 = $170