Clio's Originating Attorney Revenue Report is designed to help firms visualize and quantify how much revenue each attorney in the firm has brought in. The report is categorized by collected time, expenses, interest, fees, and taxes.
Generate the report
To generate this report:
- In Clio Manage, select Reports in the left navigation menu.
- Click Revenue or scroll down to Revenue reports and select Originating attorney revenue.
- Choose from several settings within the report options page to get the information you need for your report.
- Select user: select either All users or Specific user depending on whether you want to show collected entries for all originating attorneys or a specific originating attorney.
- Select practice area: the default setting for sorting by practice area is all practice areas. You also have the option to choose a specific practice area.
- Group results by: the default grouping is by Client, which will break down the report by each client and show how much has been collected under each client for matters that the user is an originating attorney. Grouping results by Attorney will summarize amounts across all clients for each matter the user is an originating attorney.
- Select date range: selecting a date range will restrict report data to records bound by that date range. Restricting the date range will give a historical representation of your data, where collected amounts adhere to the date the bill payment was made.
- Output format: you can generate this report as a Web, PDF, or CSV version. The Web report will display in your Clio Manage browser window. Both the PDF and CSV file can be downloaded and printed.
- Click Generate report.
When this report is generated, it will show collected totals for each originating attorney at your firm. Each column shows information specific to your firm's collected earnings for billed matters. At the bottom of the report you will see totals for each column.
- Attorney: this column lists the name of the originating attorney at your firm, followed by their collected time, expenses, interest, and tax.
- Collected Time: this column shows the originating attorney's total collected, paid time entries.
- Collected Expenses: this column shows the originating attorney's total collected, paid expense entries.
- Collected Interest: this column shows the originating attorney's total collected, paid interest entries.
- Collected Primary Tax: this column shows the originating attorney's total collected, paid tax entries for the primary tax applied to a bill.
- Collected Secondary Tax: this column shows the originating attorney's total collected, paid tax entries for the secondary tax applied to a bill.
You can sort or remove columns and rows if you generate the report as a CSV. Learn more about filtering and sorting reports in Excel by reading this article.
Frequently asked questions
How is revenue accounted for in this report?
All collected amounts are attributed to the originating attorney assigned to the matter.
How are partial payments and discounts accounted for on this report?
Payments are applied to oldest activities first and work down sequentially to the newest activities. Partial payments, credit notes, and whole-invoice discounts will result in newer activities remaining uncollected and thus not being accounted for on this report.
If you apply discounts directly to specific line items, such as time entries rather than expense entries, you will see that the cost of these time entries is lowered, and thus the collected amounts would be reduced.
Does this report show contingency and flat fees?
Yes, the report includes collected contingency and flat fees under the Collected Time column.
What user permissions do I need to see or generate this report?
Only users with Administrator or Reports permissions can access the report and see the Reports tab in the left navigation menu.
Will this report show deactivated users/originating attorneys?
This report will not show data for deactivated users when it is run with the All Users setting. To see data for a deactivated user, you will need to generate the report by choosing a specific user. Go to Reports > Originating attorney revenue. Select Specific user and choose the name of the attorney under Deactivated Firm Users.