Recording a payment on a Trust Request is similar to recording a payment on a revenue bill:
- You can manually record the payment (if received as cash, check, or transfer), and
- Clio Payments users can receive credit card payments directly into their trust bank accounts. For information about working with Clio Payments, please see our Clio Payments related articles.
Before you can record a payment on a Trust Request, you must make sure that the request has been approved.
For information about creating and approving Trust Requests, please see the "Creating and Managing Trust Request Bills" article.
Recording a Trust Request Payment Manually
You can record a payment on a Trust Request when viewing the request by clicking the "Record Payment" button.
This will open the Trust Payment window.
- Date: Defaults to today's date. Click in the Date field to select the appropriate payment date if different.
- Source: The only source option at this time is "Direct Payment" which represents payments from cash, check, or wire transfer.
- Destination: The destination must be one of your trust accounts in Clio.
- Reference: Enter any payment reference information, such as a check number, for reporting purposes.
- Description: Click the "Edit" link to enter any additional payment information.
- Payment: Enter in the amount of the payment received. Partial payments are allowed.
Finally, click the "Receive Payment" button to record the payment details.
Once the payment has been recorded, the request will update to reflect the payment and will be moved to the Paid state.
Additionally, the trust payment will also be added to the "Transactions" tab of the Contact card (and optionally the Matter) dependent on the "Balance Type" chosen when creating the request.