Recording a payment on a Trust Request is similar to recording a payment on a revenue bill:
- You can manually record the payment (if received as cash, check, or transfer), and
- Clio Payments users can receive credit card payments directly into their trust bank accounts. For information about working with Clio Payments, please see our Clio Payments related articles.
- With Clio Payments enabled, you can also send your clients trust requests via email so they can pay online.
Before you can record a payment on a Trust Request, you must make sure that the request has been approved.
For information about creating and approving Trust Requests, please see the "Creating and Managing Trust Request Bills" article.
Recording a Payment on a Trust Request
You can record a payment on a Trust Request when viewing the request by clicking the "Record Payment" button.
This will open the Trust Payment window.
- Payment date: Defaults to today's date. Click in the Date field to select the appropriate payment date if different.
- Source: The only source option at this time is "Direct Payment" which represents payments from cash, check, or wire transfer.
- Destination: The destination must be one of your trust accounts in Clio.
- Reference: Enter any payment reference information, such as a check number, for reporting purposes.
- Description: Add any additional payment information into this field.
- Payment: Enter in the amount of the payment received. Partial payments are allowed.
Finally, click the "Record payment" button to record the payment details.
Once the payment has been recorded, the request will update to reflect the payment and will be moved to the Paid state.
Additionally, the trust payment will also be added to the "Transactions" tab of the Contact card (and optionally the Matter) dependent on the "Balance Type" chosen when creating the request.