Invoices can be created within parameters such as within a specific date range, or only generated for Matters with a specific Custom Field. Filtering bills can occur from any of the Bills pages.
Filters can be applied across all Bills pages. From the Draft, Pending Approval, Awaiting Payment, Paid, and All sections you will see the same available options. To find your Filter options, select the "Filter" button on the right hand side of the page.
Here we will review our Filter Options.
- Client - Here we can select to search the created invoices by a specific Client that has been billed.
- Matter - Search all created invoices and only display what is generated for a specified Matter.
- Responsible Attorney - Limit the displayed invoices to only those under Matters that have a specified Responsible Attorney.
- Due Date - Only display invoices that are due within a specific date range.
- Payment Status - Only display invoices that are Overdue only, or display all invoices regardless of Overdue status.
- Type - Select to display all invoices, Revenue invoices only, or Trust Requests only.
- Search - This field is an open text field and will search for any characters entered into the Invoice's Number field.
When searching for an invoice, you can apply these Filters in any of the billing tabs to find a certain bill. In the below example the invoices have been filtered by Due Date and by the open Search field.
- Due Date - The Due Date of invoice 402B is due in 30 days. When searching the Due Date options for a period 30 days from the Issue Date, this invoice is displayed because it is due within the selected time frame.
- Search - The Search field will pull from the invoice's ID field. In this example, 402B will pull only this selected invoice.
Clio Pro-Tip: When editing an invoice, you can opt to include letters in the ID field. Letters will not be automatically generated, but you can edit any invoice to include this information. More can be read here.
A powerful tool build into the generation process are the Filter options. These allow you to select to only include entries within a specific date range, entries found under Matters with a specified Custom Field, entries under a desired Contact, or Matter, or for entries under a Matter with a specific Responsible Attorney.
- Client - Filter for all billable entries under a specific Contact's Matters.
- Matter - Filter for billable entries under one specific Matter.
- Responsible Attorney - Filter the list of outstanding billable entries by Matters that are under a specified Responsible Attorney.
- Activities' Date Range - Select to create an invoice that grabs a week's worth of billable time and expense entries, a month's work, or even a year or further. Select the Date Range the billable entries should fall within on the invoice.
- Matter Custom Fields - Filter all Matters by a selected Custom Field.
- Search - An open text search field.
Once you have chosen your specific Filter options, click the box next to your selected Matter or Client name.
Next, click Generate at the top of the page, and your invoice will be created within your specified Filter options.
Bills sub-tabs can be found at the Matter and Contact levels. This can be seen by navigating either to the Contact or the Matter and selecting the Bills sub-tab.
Form the Contact level you will be able to Filter by Responsible Attorney, which will assist if they have multiple Matters with your firm overseen by different attorneys, Due Date, Bill State, which searches for Draft through Voided Bills, Payment Status, and also includes an open text Search field.
From the Matter level you will have the same Filter options except for Responsible Attorney. This is because you have already navigated to the specific Matter you would like to filter.