Invoices can be created within parameters such as within a specific date range, or only generated for Matters with a specific Custom Field. Filtering bills can occur from any of the Bills pages.
Filters can be applied across all Bills pages. From the Draft, Pending Approval, Awaiting Payment, Paid, and All sections you will see the same available options. To find your Filter options, select the "Filter" button on the right hand side of the page.
Here we will review our Filter Options.
- Client - Here we can select to search the created invoices by a specific Client that has been billed.
- Matter - Search all created invoices and only display what is generated for a specified Matter.
- Responsible Attorney - Limit the displayed invoices to only those under Matters that have a specified Responsible Attorney.
- Originating Attorney - Limit the displayed invoices to only those under Matters that have a specified Originating Attorney.
- Due After - Only display invoices that are due after a specific date.
- Due Before - Only display invoices that are due before a specific date.
- Type - Select to display all invoices, Revenue invoices only, or Trust Requests only.
When searching for an invoice, you can apply these Filters in any of the billing tabs to find a certain bill. You can also search for a specific bill by typing the bill ID in the "Filter by Keyword" field and clicking Enter on your keyboard.
In the below example the invoices have been filtered by Due After and the bill ID has been entered in the "Filter by Keyboard" field.
- Due After - The Due Date of invoice 40441 is due in 44 days. When setting the Due After field to 11/07/2017, this invoice is displayed because it is due after the selected time frame.
- Filter by Keyword - The Filter by Keyword field will pull from the invoice's ID field. In this example, 10441 will pull only this selected invoice.
Clio Pro-Tip: When editing an invoice, you can opt to include letters in the ID field. Letters will not be automatically generated, but you can edit any invoice to include this information. More can be read here.
A powerful tool build into the generation process are the Filter options. These allow you to select to only include entries within a specific date range, entries found under Matters with a specified Custom Field, entries under a desired Contact, or Matter, or for entries under a Matter with a specific Responsible Attorney.
- Client - Filter for all billable entries under a specific Contact's Matters.
- Matter - Filter for billable entries under one specific Matter.
- Responsible Attorney - Filter the list of outstanding billable entries by Matters that are under a specified Responsible Attorney.
- Activities' Date Range - Select to create an invoice that grabs a week's worth of billable time and expense entries, a month's work, or even a year or further. Select the Date Range the billable entries should fall within on the invoice.
- Matter Custom Fields - Filter all Matters by a selected Custom Field.
- Search - An open text search field.
Once you have chosen your specific Filter options, click the box next to your selected Matter or Client name.
Next, click Generate at the top of the page, and your invoice will be created within your specified Filter options.
Bills sub-tabs can be found at the Matter and Contact levels. This can be seen by navigating either to the Contact or the Matter and selecting the Bills sub-tab.
From the Contact level you will be able to Filter by Responsible Attorney, Originating Attorney, Due After, Due Before and Type. You will also be able to "Filter by Keyword."