Firms where multiple users are syncing their Outlook accounts to their Clio account run the risk of creating duplicate Contacts. To prevent duplicate Contacts in Clio and Outlook, we suggest following these tips.
Only set one user to sync to Clio Bidirectionally. When you connect Outlook to Clio using the Clio Sync application, you can choose if you want to sync information one-way from Clio to Outlook, Outlook to Clio, or bidirectionally (both ways). For those firms where multiple users want to sync their individual Outlook accounts to their Clio account, only one user should be designated as the individual to sync Outlook to Clio bidirectionally - a "Master User". Having only one "Master User" will help avoid unnecessary error messages and potential issues such as duplications. For full configuration instructions, see our "Using Clio Sync for Microsoft Outlook" Support Article.
Note: the "Master User's" Outlook account will contain a comprehensive list of all the Contacts that other users have added to Clio.
After the "Master User" has initiated their sync, the following Users should follow these recommended Settings:
- First, enter your Clio Login credentials to allow your Outlook account permission to connect with your Clio Account.
- Click Configure.
- Click "Settings" to begin modifying the recommended settings.
- Choose the appropriate Transfer Method for your Account. The Master User will "Synchronize changes both ways" but the following users should select "Add Outlook info to Clio" if they wish to bring Outlook Contact data into Clio, or, should select "Add Clio info to Outlook" if they would like to see Clio Contact data added to Outlook.
- Leave the default selection if you would like Contacts, Calendars, and Tasks to sync.
- Once your Clio Contact information has synced to Outlook, select the program you wish to be primary. If you do not want your contacts removed from Outlook under any circumstances, select "Outlook is the primary. Records deleted in Clio will be ignored."
- Switch to the "Synchronize Every" option for auto synchronization.
Other Clio Users can Import additional Contacts from Outlook to Clio. For details on how to export Contacts from Outlook, see Microsoft's "Export contacts from Outlook" Support Article".
For details on how to import Contacts to Clio, see the "Importing Contacts to Clio" Support Article. These steps are summarized below.
- Download your contacts into a CSV file from Outlook.
- Access the Imports page in Clio. For North American accounts click: https://app.clio.com/imports - For European accounts click: https://app.clio.eu/imports
- Click Add on the right hand side.
- Select Contacts from Outlook CSV.
- Choose your file, and then select Upload File.
Once the import completes, you will see the result listed on the page.
To see the results of your import, click on the ID number on the left hand side of the page.
Here you can review your list of imported Contacts. Should you have any Import Failures you will see them listed at the bottom of the page with a description of the error.