Our document drafting technology – Wealth Docx® online – is a cloud-based estate planning software for attorneys, allowing them to draft customized estate plans for clients quickly, easily, and accurately - anytime, anywhere, from any device. Business Docx® is also available online to draft high quality documents from client intake to LLC formation and mergers for your small business clients. By integrating Clio with WealthCounsel online products, you can manage your clients and matters once and effortlessly transition to drafting without any rework.
Move seamlessly from Clio to drafting documents - without the hassle of rekeying all the matters and client information you just entered in Clio. This integration will push new or updated contacts and matters details into WealthCounsel online products so that you can immediately start drafting documents for your clients.
- Control which data is updated, how it is populated, and have visibility to every change that has been made so that you don’t have to worry about data integrity.
- Review recommended changes and resolve potential duplicates before they happen to ensure that your data is kept in pristine shape for drafting your clients’ documents.
- Opt out of changes on an overall or case-by-case basis to ensure that exceptions are honored between your systems.
Membership with WealthCounsel includes far more than just an online drafting solution. Visit our site to learn more about all that joining WealthCounsel can provide for your practice.
To talk to one of our practice consultants about how WealthCounsel can help your practice be successful or to schedule a demo, contact us.
Connecting WealthCounsel to Clio
Use your WealthCounsel credentials to log in to the WealthCounsel member website at http://member.wealthcounsel.com. Once logged in, go to My Practice > Practice Admin > Integrations:
Click on the Add Application button for Clio:
You will be presented with a screen asking you to authorize WealthCounsel to connect with your Clio account:
Click the green Allow Access button.
Using WealthCounsel with Clio
Once the Clio application has been added and authorization is complete, the Integrations page will provide you with a link to set up the integration:
- Active: Functions like an On/Off switch to allow you to determine when integration is enabled.
- Direction: Which way should updates be pushed between the systems? This also indicates which system is your “system of record”, meaning where you primarily manage that information.
- Frequency: Manual = integration will only occur when manually triggered by a practice admin.
- Include Matters: You have the option whether to also include new or updated matter information. If no, only contacts information will be integrated.
- Contacts to Include: Select whether you would like to pull over all contact records, or only clients (indicated by a contact being associated with a matter). Spouses of clients will be included even if they are technically only contacts.
Click Save to apply your integration settings. Next, when you establish an integration, you need to ensure that the fields have been properly mapped between the two systems.
The first set of fields relates to Contacts and shows the WealthCounsel field, with an automatic suggested option for the Clio field. To the right are the Matters fields.
Note: You may opt to change the Clio field to populate different information in that field on WealthCounsel’s systems. This could be helpful if you have chosen to use the matter Description field in Clio as more of a title field, for example.
Another option is to select a custom field in Clio that will populate a standard WealthCounsel field, such as Gender.
- Include?: Allows you to select whether that particular field will be included in the integration (by default, all mapped fields are included).
- Retrieve Fields: This button will update the external fields, pulling in as options any custom fields that have been recently added to the external system.
- Restore Defaults: All field mappings will be changed back to the original system default recommendation.
Be sure to click Save to apply any mapping updates you have made.
You’re ready to complete your first integration! Don’t be too concerned about pushing the button - no changes will be automatically made without your consent. This will give you an opportunity to see which records will be updated and select details about the changes being suggested - all of which can be ignored or canceled if you think it will have unintended results.
There are two options each time you trigger an integration:
- Sync Only Changes
- Sync All Records
Generally speaking, you can leave it at the default of “only changes” each time. The other option is provided in case you have skipped suggested updates previously.
Once you click Sync Now, the system will keep you posted on the status - Contacts will be retrieved first, followed by matters (if the integration includes them) and finally, the data will be compared to what exists in WealthCounsel. A summary of the findings are displayed:
Click Review Changes to see the records with updates, or those that are new and need to be added, with details about the changes being suggested. No deletes will be processed by an integration at this time.
You may opt to click Continue at this point and proceed with changes, but we strongly suggest that you review the list on your initial integration and any time there are warnings present.
- Ignore - Each individual contact or matter record can be ignored for a particular sync - this tells the system to skip applying the change to WealthCounsel’s system.
- Action - This option will be present for any records with warnings - when records cannot be directly matched to one in the WealthCounsel system, you will have the option to pick which one to match to, or to create a new record. This alerts you to potential duplicates that you should review and resolve through merge and/or delete.
- Once you have selected an action, there will be no indication in the record nor its history that it is a possible duplicate.
- When no action is selected, the default action will be to add a new record when Continue is clicked (if Ignore is unchecked).
- Continue - The system will proceed with all of the recommended updates, except for any marked to ignore.
- Cancel - The integration will be canceled and no updates will be made.
While the fields for contacts are fairly standard throughout most systems, there are certain cases where a user may enter information very differently. In estate planning, the most obvious example of this is husband/wife clients. When drafting, it is essential for those contacts to be separate records. For integration between systems to work properly, those individuals need to be entered separately in both systems.
Matters require a client in WealthCounsel, so any matters found in the Clio account that are missing a client (due to the contact record being deleted) will be skipped during the sync process.
Duplicate contacts in Clio will be included in the sync. If there is a matching contact found in WealthCounsel, one record will sync with that and the other will be created. When no matches are found, both contacts will be created in WealthCounsel.
How to model data in Clio
Contacts may be related to each other through the use of a custom field; however, only one contact may be specified as the client on a matter. To indicate both contacts as clients on the matter, you would need to use the related contacts feature with a relationship of “client” (using a custom field on matters would not support conflict checking functionality). However, in the initial release, we are not retrieving related contacts information from the matters. You may need to manually enter or update your matters in WealthCounsel.
The History tab will provide you with information on all of the integrations that have been run:
Staged indicates that a sync was triggered but the changes have not been processed yet - you can go to the Sync tab to review the changes and choose whether to Continue (apply changes) or Cancel.
The integration history will indicate how many records were created, updated or ignored but no specific details. Your contacts (and matters) records will indicate when specific changes were applied through an integration:
Contacting WealthCounsel Support
If you would like to talk to us about getting started with integration, reach out to your Membership Advisor directly or contact us at 888.659.4069, ext. 818. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Online help and resources are also available within each screen of our online products and across the WealthCounsel member website. The Support page is a good place to start, or the Using Wealth Docx / Using Business Docx pages under Drafting.