- Google Chrome, Firefox, Mircosoft Edge opening PDF's In A Tab, Change To Opening In Adobe
- New Tab Opening Up When Downloading PDF's In Google Chrome
- How Do I Switch Where My PDF's Are Being Opened/ Downloaded
- Google Chrome
- Microsoft Edge
- Internet Explorer
- This procedure can also be used to have your PDF's open in your Web Browser instead of being downloaded.
- If you are on Windows, your default application to open PDFs may be incorrectly set to a web browser. This means that even if your browser is set up to download the PDF initially, it will still open in a browser tab. To resolve this, see here (external site).
- Open Google Chrome.
- Click on the Menu icon in the top-right corner of the Window (it will be the button that looks like three vertical dots).
- Click Settings.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the Settings window and click Advanced.
- In the Privacy and security section, click Site Settings. Then Additional Content Settings.
- Scroll down and click the PDF documents option.
- Change the "Download PDF files instead of automatically opening them in Chrome" option from the off position (grey) to the on position (blue).
- Close the Settings tab and restart your computer.
- Open Firefox
- Click the menu button and select Options.
- Within the Options window, click Applications
- Under the Content Type column, select the Portable Document Format (PDF) option.
- In the Action column, click the down arrow on the right-hand side of the box.
- In the drop-down menu that appears, select your new default PDF reading program.
- Open Windows Settings.
- Click on Apps.
- Click on Default apps.
- Note: If you're still running the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, the path is Settings > System > Default apps.
- Click the Choose default apps by file type link.
- Scroll down and find .pdf (PDF File), and click the button on the right side, which is likely to read "Microsoft Edge."
- Select your app from the list to set it as the new default.
- Click the Switch anyway link to confirm the change.
- Open Internet Explorer
- Click the Internet Explorer Tools button and select Manage add-ons.
- Under the Toolbars and Extensions option, click on the Show drop-down list and select Run without permissions.
- In the displayed list of add-ons and extensions, find Adobe PDF Reader/default PDF reading program.
- Select the extension and click the Disable button in the bottom right of the Manage Add-ons window.
- Next time you download and open a PDF file, your default program will be used instead of Internet Explorer.
- In Safari, go to menu Safari > Preferences
- Click on the Tabs icon
- Uncheck the checkbox called "When a new tab or window opens, make it active"