What is Clio Launcher?
Clio Launcher adds a new level of power to Clio document management, and new layers of productivity to law firms.
- Save hours of time and frustration with a new click-to-edit workflow; eliminating the need to download a document from Clio when updates or changes are required. You can now work in your favorite document editor with one click, and save changes back to Clio without thinking, or clicking, twice.
- Improved navigation makes taking actions easy. There’s now a clear path and connection between viewing a document in Clio, and editing it in the program of your choice.
- Utilize Clio’s unlimited cloud document storage in tandem with this new workflow to eliminate hardware-based file storage.
Installing Clio Launcher
The Clio Launcher needs to be installed once on each computer you want to use it on. After that, it will run in the background and will be available whenever you want to open a document from Clio.
To install Clio Launcher, follow the steps below.
- Log in to Clio at app.clio.com
- Go to the Documents page and locate a document.
- Click on the external link icon next to the document filename.
- A popup is displayed. Click the installation link for your operating system (Mac or PC).
- Locate the downloaded installation file and begin the installation.
- Once the installation is complete, return to the Documents page in Clio.
- Click the external link icon next to a document.
- A Clio Launcher "Sign In" popup is displayed. Enter your login credentials to authorize Clio Launcher.
Using Clio Launcher
By using Clio Launcher, you can click a link in Clio to open any file in its relevant desktop application (Word, Excel, etc.). Saving the file in the desktop application will update the file in Clio and create a new version.
Using Clio Launcher is easy!
- Log in to Clio at app.clio.com
- Click the external link icon next to the document filename.
- The file will open on your computer in the appropriate desktop application.
- Make any changes to the file.
- Save the file.Note: Using "Save as" will not save the file back to Clio. You need to use "Save".
In Clio, the file will now be updated with a new version.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which file formats does this support?
Clio Launcher will work with any type of file. It will open the file using the default program for that file type. For example, if Pages is the default program for .docx files on your computer, Clio Launcher will open .docx files in Pages. The same principle applies for videos, spreadsheets, images, etc.
What if Clio Launcher opens my file with the wrong program?
To control which program Clio Launcher uses to open your file, simply change the default program on your computer.
I'm trying to install Clio Launcher, but the external link icon is blue. How can I install Clio Launcher?
If the external link icon is blue (maybe from an incomplete installation), you can install Clio Launcher by following the steps in this article.
How do I know if someone else is also editing the document I'm working on?
Currently, there is no notification to let you know if someone is editing the document at the same time. We are working on adding this functionality, however, so hang tight!
All edits and versions will save to Clio's documents, however, and you can review the versions in the "View details" menu for the file.
Is Clio Launcher available for documents in Clio Connect?
Currently, Clio Launcher is only available for firm users.
Is Clio Launcher available for all Clio subscription plans?
Clio Launcher is available for Boutique, Elite, and Loyalty plans.
Is the Clio Launcher compatible with Chromebook or Ipad?
No. The Clio Launcher is compatible with Windows or MacOS only.