- Law firms in the UK dealing with cloud providers must be able to meet the requirements of SRA's Code of Conduct Handbook
- UK Firms
- Code of Conduct in the Outcome 7.10
- Clio Web App
For further information, please see:
1. Business continuity has to be guaranteed - 99.9% Clio Uptime on Amazon Web Service Servers (AWS) in the European Union. Clio is operating in the market for 10 years.
2. As part of basic due diligence, it is advisable to take up references and research how long the vendor is operating in the market - Clio is used by more than 50 000 firms worldwide, operating since 2007 with over 250 staff.
3. Is there a support contact available after working hours - law firms often find themselves operating out of usual business hours. - Clio support is available from 8:00 am UK time until 1:00 am after midnight from Monday to Friday. Support is unlimited and free.
4. Is the software easy to use and how much time should every firm member spend before they can actually start using the software? - Clio dedicates Customer Success Manager to your firm, who looks after your staff's training. Usually, 3 training sessions of up to 1 hour are fully sufficient to cover all main features. Training sessions are unlimited and free and can be either 1:1 with each member or for the whole team.
5. How easy or difficult is it to import your old clients' data? - Clio has Migrations team that helps with that - we import your data from CSV format spreadsheets, the service is free of charge.
6. If your firm's client is based in the EU, these of cloud system must comply with the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998 - Clio enables your firm to operate compliantly, EMEA customers' data is stored in the European Union and never leaves the European Union.
As you already know, the GDPR was enforced in May 2018: http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/reform/files/regulation_oj_en.pdf so please make sure the alternative solution you're reviewing is fully compliant.
Clio is also enabling you to stay compliant with newly released compliance mark for cloud service providers in Europe:
7. Offer audited information security that at a minimum is compliant with ISO27001 - Clio is running in AWS environment, that has ISO27001 cert., there is an automated logging feature of every user activity on a software that is built-in for auditing purposes.
8. Make sure the cloud solution provider has taken all appropriate steps to ensure that clients’ confidential information will be protected and what are the levels of security provided? - Clio provides 256 SSL bit security, 2-factor authentication is available, multiple layers of security in the app are also available per every user's login.
9. It is advisable to ensure that law firms have the right to get data back in a usable format on demand and that they retain full ownership of the information stored. Vendors would claim that they do not own your data, but they don't give the opportunity to export the data yourselves, or ask for a high fee when exporting your data if you decide to leave. - Clio's menu has built-in Export feature, that allows you to export your created information at any time.
10. Given the importance of legal privilege and client confidentiality, the law firm should exclusively use established, known and well-regarded cloud providers. - Clio has a database of over 150 000 lawyers, also well-developed partnerships with law bars and societies, educational programs with universities and law schools worldwide, we have also established the partnership with UK Legal Innovation Centre: