- To determine how to generate a bill where you are required to charge for a tax but are not actually receiving monetary payment for your services.
- To determine how to generate an invoice that requires tax but you are not charging for the time entries as you are receiving goods or services in lieu of monetary payment.
- Clio Web App
- Throughout the month, add time entries with the appropriate rate as usual
- At the end of the month, when it is time for billing, calculate tax
- Add flat fee line item for tax or GRT (instructions to create a flat fee line item can be found here: KCS - How to Create a Flat Rate Entry in a Matter)
- Generate the Invoice
- In the Invoice, select Edit Tax to 0%
- Change the line item rates for the time entries to $0.00
- Ensure that Update Records is checked as per KCS - If I Edit a Bill to Change a Service to an Expense, Will this Update the Original Record? so as to avoid any discrepancies in reporting later on
- Save the Invoice
- The only charge on that invoice should be for the flat fee "tax" item