Clio Payments is available to subscribers of our Boutique and Elite plans.
You can upgrade to the Boutique or Elite plan in the app, or if you’re interested in seeing how this feature can work for your law firm feel free to contact us by email or give us a call at 1-888-858-2546 (choose option #1).
What is Clio's Secure Payment Link?
Clio customers can now send a secure payment link to their clients that will allow them to pay off an invoice or make a deposit into trust, from anywhere, at any time. A secure payment link sends clients to a firm-branded payments page—that Clio customers can opt to display on their website—where clients can make a secure credit card payment via Clio Payments.
Sharing the Secure Payment Page with your Clients
The secure payment page allows your clients to easily transfer money via Clio Payment to any of your accounts in Clio Manage. You can link your clients to this page however you want. For example, you can include the link on your website, your email signature, or your invoices.
To access the link to your secure payment page:
- In Clio, go to the Clio Payments page from the left hand menu
- Click New credit card payment in the top-right corner of the screen
- Click Copy payment link for the relevant account (for example, your operating account)
You can now paste the link wherever you want. Anyone with the link will be able to pay you (via a Clio Payment) using the secure payment page.
Viewing Payments made using the Secure Payment Page
You can view all of your pending, completed, and failed Clio Payments on the Clio Payments page.
Linking a Payment to a Client
Once the payment is processed, you must link the transaction to a client. You can then use the funds to fill a client's trust account or pay their outstanding bills.
You will receive an email notifying you of the payment:
To link a payment to a client:
- In Clio, go to the Clio Payments page
- Next to the payment, click the Link button
- In the Link payment modal, select a Client (and, optionally, a Matter) to link the payment toNote: By default, payments into operating accounts will be applied to outstanding invoices. To manually apply the funds, uncheck the Apply payment to issued invoices automatically checkbox. For steps on recording a Payment to a Bill afterwards (if you choose not to automatically apply it), click here.
- Click Link payment