How to apply payment to an invoice when a line item is not associated with a Matter.
- Clio Web App
- Search for Matter in Clio. If Matter exists apply amount due to Matter.
- If Matter does not exist, attempt to recover the deleted Matter from the Recovery Bin.
- If the Matter can be recovered, apply payment to the original (recovered) Matter in Clio.
- Decide whether to leave the Matter open or close it again now that the transaction is complete.
If the Matter cannot be recovered from the Recovery Bin:
- Apply a Credit Note to the invoice for the correct dollar value of the specific line item.
Process to create a Credit Note:
-Open affected invoice
-Click on the Credit Notes heading
-Enter the Dollar Value for the Credit Note
- Complete a direct payment of the Credit Note dollar value to an active Matter in Clio.
Include the original invoice details as a note.
Process to complete a payment at Matter Level:
- Go to Matter
- Select Transactions Tab
- Select New Transaction
- Complete all required and desired fields in 'New Transaction Window'
- Include details of the original invoice in Description field
- Record Transaction