The pipeline, which is displayed on the first page of the dashboard, is a visual representation of your firm’s matters according to the matter status.
At any given moment you can see how many matters are in each stage of the process by viewing the columns on the pipeline (these stages correspond to the matter statuses). A good way to think about the pipeline is like an observation deck for seeing and managing what step of the process your matters are in at any given time.
There are 3 top-level pipeline categories: “Intake”, “Hired”, and “Did Not Hire”. Each category can have its own matter statuses that will help categorize your matters and track the progress.
Matter Statuses/Pipeline Columns
The matter statuses are stages of your pipeline. These status are completely customizable and can be dragged to be arranged in any order. The concept behind the statuses is to move a matter through the matter statuses as the intake process progresses. As a result, it is recommended that the statuses be related to the steps involved in the intake process.
Each matter that is created on your account will display on your pipeline. The location of the matter card on the pipeline will depend on what the current status of the matter is, as well as the order in the column, which can be set manually by any user.
Quick View Button
The Quick View button allows the user to see a quick snapshot of the matter from the dashboard. The info includes the matter details, related contacts, notes, submitted forms and documents, as well as a timeline of activity on the Matter.
Hired/Did Not Hire Buttons
The Hired and Did Not Hire buttons are only on the "Intake" pipeline. They allow you to remove a matter from the intake phase by marking it as "Hired" or "Did Not Hire."
The filter button will allow you to customize which matters appear in your pipeline. You can filter by: assigned user, matter type, lead source, matter value, and/or matter open date.
Pipeline Best Practices
Using the pipeline effectively is extremely important in keeping your matters organized and intake process up to date and efficient. Pipelines that are not updated frequently become stale and do not reflect the true state of the firm’s intake processes.
Therefore, you should make an effort to keep your matters flowing through the pipeline and if they get stuck for too long, you should have a process for eventually removing them (e.g. marking as "Did Not Hire").
Below are some tips on how to keep your pipeline efficient and up to date.
- Create matter statuses that relate to your intake process.
- If your intake typically has 5 stages (First contact, Schedule Appointment, Send Intake Form, Follow Up, Send Fee Agreement), then those should be your intake matter statuses. This will help you keep organized and know what step each potential client is at in the process.
- Move matters through Pipeline as statuses are completed.
- Any time one of these steps is completed for a specific matter then the matter statuses should be updated to reflect that progress. This way you will see your matters move through the pipeline as the intake process advances and they won’t get left behind in a status that they are no longer in.
- Move stale matters to a certain column or mark as Did Not Hire.
- If you do not hear back from a contact after a certain amount of time then their related matter should be moved into a column where all “stale” matters are collected. This will keep the other statuses free of matters that are not currently active.
- Filter your Pipeline to keep users focused.
- If your account has a lot of matters on your dashboard then you may want to filter the dashboard to only display those that you are assigned to. This will help in finding/viewing your matters and will make updating the matters easier.
Customizing the Pipeline
Customizing the pipeline according to your intake process is very important. While your account does come with some standard matter statuses, we highly recommend creating your own statuses that reflect your firm's processes more closely.
Adding New Matter Statuses
Adding new statuses to your pipeline is very simple. Go to your settings page and find the Matter settings tab. Here you will be able to add new statuses to any of the three pipeline categories (Intake, Hired, Did Not Hire) as well as edit any of the existing ones.
Changing Column Order
Once the matter statuses are added to your pipeline, you may notice that they are not in the order you would like. The best way to organize it is to have a left-to-right flow so that first step of the process is on the left, and the last step is on the right. Matters move along the pipeline from left to right as updates happen.
To adjust the order of the statuses, you can simply click and hold the header of the matter status column form the pipeline view and drag and drop it into the desired position.