We are pleased to offer the ability to integrate your Clio account with Xero. In order to use the integration, you must have a Xero subscription.
The current integration allows users to:
- Sync contacts between Clio and Xero
- Contacts originating from Xero only will not be synced over to Clio and must be manually entered into Clio
- Contacts in Clio and Xero with matching names and email address will be linked and won't be duplicated in Xero
- Only contacts with Bills will be synced from Clio to Xero
- Once synced, if you update a linked Contact in either application it will update the other application
- Sync Bills from Clio to Xero (one-way from Clio to Xero)
- All Bills except for those that have been voided will be synced
- Selecting a date range will limit which Bills are synced (based on the issue date of the Bill)
- Sync Payments from Clio to Xero (one-way from Clio to Xero)
- Payments received on Bills in Clio are added to the corresponding invoices in Xero
- Payment edits or deletions in Clio will be synced to Xero
- Payment edits or deletions in Xero will be overwritten by the Clio Sync
- If you select a date range, only payments on invoices with issue dates within the date range will be synced
- Sync Credit Notes from Clio to Xero (one-way from Clio to Xero)
- Credit Notes applied to Bills in Clio are added to the corresponding invoices in Xero
- If you select a date range, only Credit Notes on invoices with issues dates within the date range will be synced
Note regarding Trust/Client Accounting
If you prefer, you can turn off payment syncing in order to have more control over the way your bills are paid in Xero. This can be a helpful function when dealing with trust/client payments.
Due to limitations in place by Xero, trust/client account transactions cannot be synced; however, Clio has complete trust/client ledger and trust/client reconciliation functionality. For further information, see this article. The Trust/Client Ledger Report, Trust/Client Listing Report, and Bank Account Activity Report can all help you facilitate the necessary tracking of your trust/client accounts in your accounting software.
Linking Bills to Xero
To link your Clio Bills to Xero, check the box "Export Bills from Clio to Xero" and determine where the matching entries should go once imported.
These entries include:
- Time Entries
- Credit Notes
- Clio Payments (NA specific)
These account names are pulled from those already created within your Xero Chart of Accounts.
Note: If you prefer not to have payments synced over to Xero, leave the field "Match Clio payments to Xero bank account" to the default value "None". Your accountant may find this helpful, as it allows greater control over coding payments in Xero.
Example below. (Note: the names of your accounts may be different):
Note: In order for Clio to recognize a Xero account, it must have an account code. This can be added in the Chart of Accounts settings inside of Xero.
If you have questions about which accounts in your Xero Chart of Accounts to link your Clio information to, please consult your accountant or one of our Clio Certified Consultants.
When you set up the Bill integration, all invoices that are in Clio will be brought over to Xero. Going forward, when you create or edit an invoice, add a payment, or add a credit note in Clio it will reflect in Xero every five minutes.
Finer Account Code Mapping
In the Xero settings page you can select a default account code for time entires, expenses and disbursements. Activity Categories will allow you to use a different account code if desired.
If you have a Xero sync enabled, you will see an option when creating your category titled “Xero Account”. If you define a value here it will take precedence over the default value you setup on the Xero settings page.
Append Clio ID's to Contacts
Xero does not allow multiple contacts with the same first and last name. As a result, Xero will block new contacts, and their corresponding invoices, from being sync’d if they detect another contact with the same first and last name. This is indicated by an error that reads "The contact <Contact Name> is already assigned to another contact" within the Sync Errors section of the Bill Syncing > Xero page.
You will have access to a preference to append the contact's ID to the contact name in Xero if your account was created before July 2019. Enabling the preference will eliminate the “contact is already assigned” error from happening again, increasing the success rate of your Xero sync. The drawback is that contacts that have already been created will be duplicated in your Xero account.
Clio users also have the option to resolve the error by modifying the contact name or transferring any invoices to an original contact if the second contact was created in error.
Customers who signed up during or after July 2019 automatically have ID's appended. Ensuring that all invoices will not be blocked by duplicate contacts.
Sync Bills in Draft or Awaiting Approval
Clio only sends invoices that are Awaiting Payment or Paid to Xero in an effort to increase the reliability of data from being sent. If you would like to send over bills that are in a Draft or Pending Approval state you can do so by de-selecting the checkbox pictured below.
Syncing Hard Costs (aka Disbursements)
We’ve enhanced our integration with Xero so that it will automatically record a ‘spend money’ transaction, when you create a hard cost entry in Clio Manage. This will eliminate the previous requirement of having to manually log entries in both platforms, reducing costly accounting errors and allowing you to maximize your time.
To enable this capability, check the box “Sync Hard Costs”. Note that the ‘hard cost setting’ must also be enabled.
When enabled, the following preferences will be made available:
- The date to begin syncing hard costs.
- Note that if disbursements are already created after this date then they will be sent over.
- The accounts hard costs should map to the bank account to credit
Edits made to the hard cost in Clio will also be reflected in Xero unless the transaction has been reconciled in Xero.
Note: The Vendor field will be required on all hard costs moving forward. The field is only required if the feature has been enabled. If it has not been enabled then the Vendor field is not required.
If you have any questions - please refer to the dedicated Xero Hard Cost Exporter support article.