Make sure to set a cut off time for your firm the day that your export is scheduled with your Clio migrations specialist. Any data added to your previous software after the export session will not be migrated to Clio and will need to be manually transferred after the migration is completed.
For some commonly asked questions relating to the data migration process check out this article here
- Closing Out Your Old Software
- Managing Your Firm During The Data Transition Period
- Important Steps After The Migration
Closing Out Your Old Software
- Generate invoices for any outstanding time and expense entries in your previous software we recommend doing this so you have the most up to date outstanding balances for your clients.
- Make sure to apply any credits, trust payments to any outstanding bills in your previous system, as these credit and trust balances will not be migrated.
- Make sure to extract all your historical banking and trust reports you would like to backup in Clio.
Managing Your Firm During The Data Transition Period
- Make sure not to turn on any of the available syncs like Office 365, or Google until after the Migration has been completed to reduce the chances of duplicate contacts being created.
- Any new clients, matters, time entries and all other data relating to these new clients should be added to Clio going forward,
- There are two ways to keep track of information for your historical clients while your migrations specialist work on your data both are outlined below:
- Placeholder Matter - If you don't feel comfortable using excel to track your time we recommend using the placeholder matter option. After the migration is completed you will need to bulk reassign all of the time to the proper matter steps will be included in the next section.
- Tracking Time and Notes During A Migrations - if you feel comfortable using excel and populating templates then we encourage you to track all of your time for a matter in the linked migrations templates.
- Upload any of the reports you exported from your previous system to Clio under the Documents tab in a folder called "Historical Data" for future reference if needed,
If you are being trained as part of the QuickStart Training Program we highly recommend getting started now and scheduling your Expert Q&A with your Onboarding Specialist for two days after the migrations expected completion. This will allow your practice to hit the ground running after the migration.
Important Steps After The Migration
- Make sure to review your imported data no later the three business days after the import. if your firm starts making edits to the data then these changes will be lost, or we may be unable to make any changes. This article walks you through the process of reviewing the imported data.
- Make sure to add any deposits to the trust account for any clients that were migrated,
- After your migration has been completed it is now time to upload/update the data from the processing period that you stored in excel or created a placeholder matter for,
- Upload Time Entries - if you chose to use excel to track your time during the processing period the steps in the linked article walk you through how to upload the files,
- Reassign Time Entries - select all the time entries for a specific matter and using the steps in the linked article reassign them in bulk to the relevant matters.