If you are a client of a law firm and wish to learn more about Clio for Clients and how to use it, please see here.
What is Clio for Clients?
Clio for Clients is a portal designed for law firms and their clients to easily and securely communicate and share documents. Law firms can send documents and share key details like status and next steps for their clients to access on demand from the Clio for Clients mobile app or web browser. Clients can scan and share documents, access their case details in a central spot, and message their lawyer or others at the firm.
How it works
- Navigate to Communications
- Click New client portal
- Select a matter
- You and the client will automatically populate as participants. You can add or remove participants under Select participants. Once the client portal is created you will be able to add additional participants if needed by navigating to the client portal and clicking Add next to Participants.
- Click Create client portal
- Now that your client portal is created, you can send a message or a document. The first message or document you send to a client on a matter will trigger a Clio for Clients invite email to that client.
- To send a message, type your message where it says Type a message then hit Send.
- To send a document from within the client portal, click Upload file.
- You can also share or unshare documents to Clio for Clients from the documents section and in the matter’s documents section. Click the dropdown next to the document you wish to share, and select Share to client portal.
What your client will see:
Do I need to download this app, too?
Nope! You will continue to do everything from within Clio Manage (via the web/desktop). You do not need to download the Clio for Clients app.
How much does it cost?
It is included with Boutique + Elite Clio Manage subscription plans in North America and the Premium subscription plan outside of North America. It’s free for your clients to use.
What features does it have?
For clients: Your clients can view documents you’ve sent them, as well as scan or upload their own documents, plus chat securely with you or anyone at your firm. Using the mobile app they can also protect access to their case information using Face ID, Touch ID, or their fingerprint.
For firms: All firm users added to a client portal can message and share documents or document folders to clients. Whenever a client sends a message or uploads a document from the app, you and any other firm member participants will receive an email notification. You can also add time entries to client portals to track the time spent communicating with clients. And client portals can be printed to preserve a record of what's been communicated and shared with a client.
What about Clio Connect?
Clio Connect, Clio’s original client and co-counsel portal has been renamed Clio for Co-Counsel and is now a designated co-counsel portal. Note that this change applies to customers in North America only. The reason for this change is so each solution (Clio for Clients and Clio for Co-Counsel) can focus on the distinct needs of those using it. You can continue to use Clio for Co-Counsel with clients, but we recommend transitioning new clients and matters to Clio for Clients to provide the best experience possible for your clients. You can learn more about this change here.
Will Co-Counsel use this app, too?
No, as this app is intended for clients (and related contacts) only. You can continue to use Clio for Co-Counsel (formerly called Clio Connect), to share resources and collaborate on cases with them.
Where can I provide feedback on Clio for Clients?
If you have any questions, please reach out to Clio's support team by clicking the chat button in your Clio account, or through the contact details listed at the bottom of this page. If you have any feedback on Clio for Clients, please share it with us using this Google Form (if you would like to discuss your feedback, please reach out to Clio's support team).