We know your firm may rely heavily on checks as the primary method to transfer funds out of trust accounts. This is why we’ve made it easy for you to enter trust records once in Clio Manage and automatically sync these over to Quickbooks online and now print trust check disbursements quickly.
Let’s get into some of the details of this feature.
How do trust sync and check printing work together to improve my firm's trust disbursements?
By enabling the trust sync you can record accurate trust records and enter them once in Clio Manage and automatically sync these over to Quickbooks online for simple record keeping. From here you can choose to disburse funds to a check, saving you time and maintaining accuracy.
The best part - Clio’s intuitive trust accounting platform will eliminate trust overdrafts and provide a warning if you are about to issue a disbursement that exceeds the client or matter trust balance.
Do I need to enable ‘Trust Sync’ in Clio Manage to be able to print checks via Quickbooks Online?
Yes, you must enable ‘Trust Sync’ within Clio Manage.
How do I enable ‘Trust Sync’ to be able to print checks via Quickbooks Online?
You can follow the instructions outlined here to enable ‘Trust Sync’ between Clio Manage and Quickbooks Online.
I’ve enabled ‘Trust Sync’ how do I start printing checks via Quickbooks Online?
- When you are ready to disburse funds from either the ‘account’ page or ‘transactions’ tab of the matters dashboard, you can disburse fund to a check, by selecting ‘Print Check via QuickBooks Online’
- Once the Print check via QuickBooks Online option is selected, you can then choose the recipient of the check. The recipient will appear as the payee on the check. The list of recipients contains contacts from the customer’s Clio account (e.g. returning the settlement fund to the client), as well as vendors from your Quickbooks Online account (e.g. writing a check to pay the court for the filing fee).
- After saving the transaction, Clio Manage will sync this disbursement over as a check in Quickbooks Online. You can find you check by logging into your Quickbooks Online account, then click on ‘+ New’ option from the top left corner, and then select ‘Print Checks’.
- You can then click ‘Preview and print’ to review the information before printing your check on pre-printed check paper. You can purchase these from QuickBooks Online here.
- Once QuickBooks Online generates the check number, we will automatically import it and save it as part of Clio's transaction record. Any changes to the check number in QuickBooks Online will also update the corresponding record in Clio. Note that there may be up to 90 mins of delay for the check number to be updated.
How does the information I enter into Clio Manage gets mapped to QuickBooks Online?
Here is how the information maps between both products:
|QuickBooks Online||Clio Manage|
|QuickBooks Online Check
||Clio Manage - Trust Disbursement
|Mailing address||The mailing address of the Clio Manage contact or the address of the vendors in QuickBooks Online|
|Bank Account||Trust bank account as defined by your setup in the QuickBooks Online sync settings
|Category||Trust liability account as defined by your setup in the QuickBooks Online sync settings
Can Quickbooks Online print a check on a blank paper?
No, Quickbooks Online only prints the payment information so you must use pre-printed check paper for printing. They can be purchased here or other online stores that sell QuickBooks Online checks.
How long does it take to sync the check over to Quickbooks Online?
Check will be available for printing in your QuickBooks Online account within 1 - 2 minutes after syncing.
Can I print checks from my operating/firm account?
No, this feature is currently limited to printing checks for trust accounts only.
After a check is synced over to QuickBooks Online, can I still make changes to the original trust disbursement in Clio Manage?
Yes, Clio Manage will sync the changes you make over to Quickbooks Online.
After a check is synced over to QuickBooks Online, can I delete the original trust disbursement in Clio Manage?
Yes, Clio will delete the corresponding check in Quickbooks Online.
After a check is synced over to QuickBooks Online, can I disable the “ Print check via QuickBooks Online” option on the original trust disbursement in Clio Manage?
Yes, Clio Manage will first delete the corresponding check in Quickbooks Online, and then re-sync this disbursement as a journal entry to Quickbooks Online (i.e. credit the trust bank account and debit the trust liability account as defined in the Quickbooks Online sync settings).
I made changes to the check in QuickBooks Online, will this change be synced back to Clio Manage?
No, Trust Check printing via QuickBooks Online is a one-way sync from Clio to QuickBooks Online. Please make changes to the original trust disbursement in Clio Manage, which will then be automatically synced over to Quickbooks Online.
What if I disbursed the trust fund via Bank Transfer?
If the trust disbursement is not paid by check, please leave the ‘Check printing via QuickBooks Online’ unchecked. This will continue to sync the disbursement as a journal entry to Quickbooks Online.