The statement descriptor is the text that appears on a client's credit card or bank statement after making a payment.
You can customize the statement descriptor to match your Doing Business As (DBA) name. Setting a custom statement descriptor can help your clients recognize your firm name when seeing it on their credit card or bank statements.
In Clio Manage, you can customize your statement descriptor in two places—when signing up for Clio Payments, and at any time in your settings after your Clio Payments account is approved.
Customize during sign up
When signing up for Clio Payments, customize your statement descriptor while completing your business details:
- Enter your custom statement descriptor in the box below Statement descriptor.
- Click the question mark next to Statement descriptor for requirements.
- Complete the remaining business details and click Continue. If your custom statement descriptor is invalid, you will see an error message.
- Complete the remaining Clio Payments sign-up steps and review your statement descriptor. The statement descriptor will be listed under Business details.
- Click Submit.
Edit the statement descriptor
After your Clio Payments account has been approved, you can edit your statement descriptor at any time in your settings. Any firm user with access to payments can edit the statement descriptor.
- Go to Settings > Online payments > Payments profile.
- Click Edit business details.
- Enter your new statement descriptor in the box below Statement descriptor.
- Click Update.
Your client will see your custom statement descriptor when making a payment, on the confirmation screen after submitting the payment, and in the email receipt.
Confirmation screen after payment: